I am an East Bay native, currently living in Concord with my husband, two daughters, two dogs, 3 chickens, and snake. I started offering birth and photography services as a side gig while I was at home caring for my first daughter when she was a baby.
I hold a BS degree in biochemistry and cell biology from UC San Diego, and a M.Ed in secondary science curriculum and instruction from UC Berkeley. I was a public high school biology teacher for several years, and have been writing middle school curriculum at Lawrence Hall of Science for the last 3. I'm a certified childbirth educator (Bradley Method™), and a certified labor and postpartum doula (Cornerstone).
I enjoy belly dancing, photographing people and places, camping, hiking, rock climbing, learning about pregnancy and birth, trying to live sustainably, gardening, brewing beer and cider, crafting, sewing, karaoke, experiencing sci-fi and fantasy movies and literature, doodling, and drawing my own tattoos, among other things! Read my featured story at Women of the Bay Area!
Here are 5 things you should know about me:
1. I love science. Plants, animals, nature, the ocean, space, the human body, the environment, the whole sha-bang! I am especially fascinated by the human body and the process of pregnancy and birth... hence how I got into the birth field.
2. I love science fiction, fantasy, and zombie anything. Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy, Firefly, GOT, Fables, Wheel of Time, Harry Potters, Walking Dead, to name a few... Need I say more? Yes, I have gone to a sci-fi convention. No, I wasn't forced to. Wanna have a nerd-off? Also, Goonies never say "die".
3. Introverts are people too. Can I go home now?
4. I wish I could say that I know everything about the things I am fascinated by, involved in, and teach about, but that is just impossible. There is ALWAYS more to learn. I'm a lifelong learner. And, I'm really good at googling.
5. Dark chocolate all the way.
My Birth Training and Affiliations
-Childbirth Educator and Affiliated Instructor: The Bradley Method™ (July 2014)
-Certified Labor and Postpartum Doula, including special training for homebirths: Cornerstone Doulas (May 2017)
-Advanced Training on Fetal Positioning: Spinning Babies (January 2018) -2 unmedicated vaginal births of my own! (July 2013, January 2017)
-Affiliate member of Mt. Diablo Doula Community (May 2017), and currently working on provisional doula membership
-Contra Costa Regional Medical Center Volunteer Doula (March 2018)
-Member DOULAS by the BAY (April 2018)
-I am also have also passed background checks and am listed in the Trustline registry for childcare providers
If you'd like to learn more about my other professional experience, visit my profile on LinkedIn.